Breathless

Michel Poiccard (Jean-Paul Belmondo) is a petty thief who steals cars for life. After stealing a car in Marseille, he kills a policeman who follows him on the way to Paris. While Michel is collecting money from the buyer, he meets Patricia (Jean Seberg), an American student and journalist, who sells the New York Herald Tribune on the street. He soon falls in love with her and asks her to escape with him to Italy. Patricia is hesitating to make a decision in the entire film. After she learns Michel’s crime background, she eventually calls the detective and threatens him to leave before the police arrive. Michel chooses to give up his escape and dies after the police shoot him in the street.

This is a typical film talks about the decision of choosing between love and reality. Michel has nothing but he still persistently chase Patricia with his best offer. I feel sorry for Michel because people usually do not accept this kind of love in realistic, and such happy ending could only happen in dramas. Thus, I most likely can tell Michel’s pity ending when I see Patricia’s hesitate. The ironic ending leaves audience to think how they identify true love. Perhaps, Michel should use his passion to change his life before he pursues Patricia. That might be a completely different result. However, the fate does not allow Michel to have much time to realize his failure and start everything all over again.

Besides the plot and thoughts of the film, I enjoy the screening of the street of Paris in 1900s. As an Asian student, I am surprise how western countries had been well-developed in many decades ago. The gorgeous buildings and orderly arrangement of street basically look like the same as nowadays. I also see the western culture is well inherited from the fashion of dressing in the past. The brilliant city gives a contrast Michel’s miserable life and makes me feel more sympathetic to those frustrated people as him.